Broccoli Potato Soup
Number of servings: 4
Warm up with a delicious, nutritious soup!
4 cups broccoli (chopped)
1 onion (small, chopped)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
1 cup evaporated milk, nonfat
1 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepared in water) salt and pepper (to taste)
¼ cup cheese, shredded cheddar (or American)
- Combine broccoli, onion and broth in large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if soup starts to become too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cheese over each serving.
Per serving: 200 calories, 6 g fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 15 g protein. Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.